Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

Module learning

The two main goals I have set at the start of the Effective Communication module was to be able to improve on my writing skills and able to step out of my comfort zone.


Before the start of this module, I was not strong with my language which affected my writing and I aim to improve it. Throughout this module, I was able to do and learn the different types of writing. I was able to know how to paraphrase and summarise without changing the meaning of the whole sentence which is important for our writing to avoid plagiarism. 


Stepping out of my comfort zone where I was able to present and discuss more during the lesson. Throughout the module, I have learnt some valuable steps on how to present and do a pitch correctly. For example, capturing the audience's attention by asking questions and even eye contact. In my previous presentation in polytechnic, I was allowed to refer to my script and present it to the class and there was no proper feedback on my presentation. Whereas this module I was able to receive feedback from both my coursemate and professor. However, referring to the script was not allowed and it was difficult for me since I was not used to it.


Despite the COVID-19 restriction, the class was able to do the presentation in school, however, I was not totally prepared for it and it has been a long time since I presented in front of a class physically. For the next physical presentation, I need to improve on my presentation skills such as being able to engage in eye contact which truthfully, I am bad at. Not only that I need to build on my confidence and not feel scared when presenting in front of the class.


Project learning

Throughout the first semester, there are different types of assignments we need to do. One of them is a technical report. For this assignment, the class was separated into groups and needed to come out of one possible topic and write a proposal report. This assignment helps the group on how to write a proper proposal report which includes a transmittal letter, executive summary and problem statement. Together with the proposal report, we need to do a presentation. 


There are multiple skills we get to improve on with the assignment such as writing skills, teamwork skills and presentation skills. Personally, I feel like I have improved on my teamwork skills such as communication, active listening and time management.


My past experience with team reports was that we assigned different parts to different members and do our own part and compiled all of our work as one with not much discussion. However, with this assignment, we are able to meet up every week to do the proposal together. This experience allows me to change the perspective of group work and able to understand more on the topic. The group project also helps to improve my communication skills where I need to express my own opinion and for the group to understand it. 


The proposal report is also a new experience where I get to learn how to write a proposal report and introduce our proposal to a company. This experience also makes us think about general and the company thoughts of our proposal and whether is it a good implementation or not. 

Overall all the projects was a new experience where I was not able to experience during my three years in the polytechnic.  I get to change my perspective in group work and able to work with my coursemate closely.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Introduction: Formal Letter

Dear Professor Brad My name is Nur Farhanah. I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic in 2021, where I studied Electrical Engineering with Eco-Design. Currently, I am a student at Singapore Institute of Technology pursuing a degree in Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services). Truthfully, I did not expect myself to continue studying as I am still unsure of what I want to do for my future. There are a lot of different types of communication skills. I believe that friendliness is one of my strengths in communication. Where honesty and kindness can help foster trust and understanding. A friendly tone can also encourage people to communicate with us. However, lack of confidence is my weakness in communication. I get nervous when I need to stand in front of the class and present. That affects my communication as I tend to blank out and not present fluently during the presentation. After which, I regret not being able to pre

Summary Draft 1

ENGIE aims to conserve nature and relieve the needs of everyone through heating and cooling networks. Firstly, heating networks utilise mainly on resources that are available. Such as heat recuperates from wastewater. That heat will be dispersed through hot water. There are four important factors for the network. Secondly, cooling network supplies cool water to reduce the temperature of the buildings. There are different ways to retrieve cool water, one of them is by having a cooling tower at a manufacturing plant. The cooling network has a lot of benefits such as reducing the usage of water and electricity and at the same time reducing carbon emission. The heating network can be found in Italy, Bordeaux and Paris regions of France. Whereas cooling networks can be found in Malaysia,  Philippines and USA. There is an exception to Marseille, Spain and Lisbon, as they have both networks at the same location.

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

  “ Communication skills are an essential component in the education of  engineering students to facilitate not just students’ education but also to prepare  them for their future careers.”    Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007) Throughout our school years, we will be partnering with different course mates, allowing us to communicate with them. Most importantly, sharing and understanding our ideas will also help us prepare for our careers in the future. Hence, communication skills are an essential component in the education of engineering students. Nur Farhanah